Most traditional tattoos are inspired by the traditional American culture but you can also opt for traditional European tattoos or British tattoos. Traditional designs were in trend during the early tattooing days when people used different ink for tattoos.
The tattoo designing art has evolved a lot over the years but many people still admire the tradition of the early 1900s. Here we picked up 180 amazing traditional tattoo ideas for men and women.
Simple American traditional tattoos
1. In my opinion, the most popular and most amazing traditional designs were inspired by Native American artwork. Here is a native American tribal tattoo design.
Neo traditional tattoo designs use bold outlines with bright colors and less shading. It’s similar to traditional American designs but with less restriction and greater depth and options.
American traditional tattoo sleeve ideas
3. Skull tattoos are in tradition ever since the late 1800s but they got insanely popular during the world war era.
4. If you wish to have traditional sleeve tattoos then you should try snake tattoos because they are the perfect choice for it.
Old School American Tattoo
Traditional Navy tattoo design
American Classic Tattoos for Men
7. Religious tattoos were also very popular in old days. You can try a traditional Mary Magdalene tattoo design as shown here.
American half-sleeve tattoo
American traditional sleeve filler
9. Even though cross tattoos are in existence since the medieval era yet they got a unique makeover and popularity in the 20th century.
Old School tattoo sleeves
10. If you wish to have a traditional snake tattoo design then better make it aggressive because a cute and girly snake tattoo design was not acceptable in those times. If you want to learn more about traditional art then you can read it here.
Traditional American tattoos
11. A good tattoo idea is to opt for any design and give a traditional tribal background in your favorite color just like this amazing elephant tattoo.
Small Traditional tattoos
22. Among all the animal tattoos, wolf tattoos were most popular because they were considered to be sacred and fierce by many tribal cultures.
24. A traditional flower tattoo design will look incomplete without a dagger tattoo so make sure you add it too.
28. Even though this traditional black and grey tiger tattoo design is amazing but it can be improved by giving it a broader and more detailed look.
29. Traditional bald eagle tattoos are probably the most attractive and heart-touching tattoo designs. What do you think about this one?
Traditional Style tattoos
32. If you want a skull tattoo design but are too confused then I would recommend you to try a traditional grim reaper tattoo design like this.
Traditional Hawaiian tattoos
36. You can try a portrait tattoo of your parents in traditional style. Here is what such tattoos would look like.
38. A perfect combination of colors can make your traditional design look amazing. I would advise you to use colors like yellow, black and red.
Traditional Native American tattoos
47. You can try a traditional biomechanical tattoo design like here is a bear tattoo design that seems to be coming out of the person.
48. A traditional 3D tattoo design is not hard to ink but one surely needs an idea for it. I would advise you to try 3D traditional animal tattoos.
Which traditional tattoo design from the above photo gallery do you like the most?