Dragon tattoos are among the top ten most popular tattoo designs. Dragons are mythical creatures that have been mentioned in various cultures across the globe throughout centuries. Did they exist? Or were they part or pure imagination? People might have stumbled across bones of dinosaurs in ancient times and mistook them as dragons.
Anyways various cultures depict various kinds of dragons. Some show them fierce creatures who breathe fires. While other cultures like Chinese and Japanese consider them good omen. Some show them with wings while others show them as elongated sea serpents.
As there are so many different depictions of dragons, therefore, one often gets confused to pick up the right kind of dragon tattoo for themselves.
Here we present you 50 amazing tattoos of dragons inspired from cultures of various parts of the world –
dragon tattoos on arms
1. Dragon tattoo can be made more meaningful by showing them in a unique style. For example, you can try dragon heart tattoos where two or more dragons are aligned in the shape of a heart.
pictures of dragon tattoos
2. Many cultures define their own versions of Dragons. If you come across the drawings of Aztec dragons, you will find them fascinating too. Here is an Aztec dragon tattoo on the upper arm of this guy.
dragon tattoo on arm
3. 3D dragon tattoos are hard to do can only be pulled off by an experienced tattoo artist. I would recommend you to try the 3D version of dragon tattoo on back or chest.
dragon tattoos for men
4. In my opinion, the best dragon tattoos would be those that show the fierce side of dragons. Also, they should show the age as dragons supposedly live for 1000 years.
dragon tattoo designs for arms
5. Many people like to have colorful dragon tattoos. Of all such colors, Blue dragon tattoos are very popular. Here is a cool blue dragon tattoo on the bicep of this guy.
fire breathing dragon tattoo
6. Celtic art has given unique perceptions of every other art form in the world. Here is a Celtic dragon tattoo on the chest of this guy that will obviously grab eyes due to its unique design.
dragons and skulls tattoos
7. It might get hard for many people to distinguish between Chinese and Japanese dragons. If you want to have a Chinese dragon tattoo then go for a wingless creature and have it in red color.
the best dragon tattoos
8. Tribal dragon tattoos are coolest in my opinion. In fact the tribal tattoo art gained popularity in recent times due to its unique take on dragon and other animal tattoos.
dragon tattoos for girl
9. Many girls ask for cute dragon tattoo and in my opinion, such dragon tattoos are hard to do. Why? Because every tattoo artist knows that dragon tattoo look better in their fierce style.
chinese dragon tattoo arm
10. Dragon tattoos are often mixed up with other tattoo designs to give a unique tattoo. Dragon lives for thousands of years. Phoenix takes birth again from its ashes. So how about a dragon and phoenix tattoo? Do you know about all the different types of dragons.
Chinese Dragon Tattoos
11. As I said it is common practice to mix dragon tattoo with other animal tattoos. Another such popular combination is dragon and tiger tattoos. Here is the perfect version of this combination.
chinese dragon tattoo designs
12. Chinese dragons are larger in size so they will look good only on chest or back. While I prefer a chest for them but dragon back tattoos are also very popular.
fire dragon tattoo designs
13. If you are asked to have only just one tattoo in your life then try a dragon tattoo on Chest with its tail expanding up to the back. You will never regret this tattoo design.
black and red dragon tattoo
14. Many clients often ask for dragon face tattoos. It is like asking for a horn when you can have the whole car. Instead of face tattoo of a dragon, you can have small size dragon tattoos.
dragon head tattoos designs
15. But still, if you are interested in dragon head tattoo then here is how it will look like. Do you think it looks good without its body?
Dragon Tattoo Sleeves
16. The birth of Daenerys dragons in a game of thrones gave rise to the popularity of baby dragon tattoos. You can also try some baby dragon tattoos and here is one inspired from CN animated series.
best dragon tattoo artist
17. Girls can add flowers to their dragon tattoo designs. My favourite choice is dragon rose tattoos and the rose can be of any color.
dragon and tiger tattoos
18. Have you ever tried Dragon Scale tattoos? They look majestic if done properly. In fact, many people will stop you just to ask about your tattoo.
dragon and tiger tattoo
19. Another popular variation that many tattoo artist love is dragon skull tattoos. You can either have a whole dragon skeleton tattoo or show a dragon skull in your tattoo design.
dragon cover up tattoo
20. Dragon tattoos are the perfect choice for sleeves. You don’t have to opt for a large dragon on your sleeves. You can try a small size tribal dragon sleeve tattoo like this.
Dragon Age Tattoos
21. Many artists also like to mix dragon tattoo with sacred symbols. If you consider any symbol lucky for you than a cool dragon tattoo design would be to ink the dragon in the shape of the symbol.
japan dragon tattoo design
22. As dragons are pop culture elements since the dawn of mankind so you will find millions of dragon drawings across the globe. You can use such dragon drawings for your tattoo.
dragon sleeve tattoo designs
23. Dragon wings are often ignored but honestly, they deserve a highlight in dragon tattoo. So be sure to ask your artist for majestic dragon wings like this.
japanese dragon tattoos design
24. I find tribal tattoos more attractive on women then on men. A unique style would be to try tribal dragon tattoo on spine or back.
types of dragon tattoos
25. Confused between Chinese dragon and Japanese dragon? A cool dragon tattoo idea would be to try both designs.
Red Dragon tattoo
26. Tribal dragon tattoo often ignore dragon eyes. You can make your tribal dragon tattoo even more impressive by improving its eye design.
chinese dragon tattoo sleeve
27. The way you show your dragon tattoo will tell a lot about its meaning. For example, if you show a baby dragon tattoo then you are conveying the message that you are strong-willed but still a baby at heart.
japanese dragon tattoo design
28. One unique part to try dragon tattoo is an ankle. Women often ask for dragon tattoo on the ankle and here is how they would look like.
red dragon tattoo on back
29. Another interesting dragon tattoo idea would be to show a dragon crawling over your arm. For this, you have to show dragon paws with long pointed nails.
dragon tattoos on girls
30. Medieval dragon tattoos are also very popular. Try dragon tattoo inspired from ancient greek culture or roman culture.
Small Dragon Tattoos
31. Leg is an uncommon place for dragon tattoos. But if you wish to have one on leg then try a unique tattoo. Try a green or yellow or even pink dragon tattoo on leg.
dragon tattoo on thigh
32. Girls should prefer dragon tattoo on rib cage because it look so $exy. Try a sea dragon tattoo on rib and you won’t be disappointed by the result.
dragon tattoo side body
33. What would be more beautiful than witnessing a dragon taking a flight? Why not try a similar tattoo design? The shoulder is the best place to have it.
japanese dragon tattoos designs
34. Side posing dragon tattoos are my favourite. They give the artist more focus. The end result is as beautiful as this.
japan dragon tattoo designs
35. Do some women ask for temporary dragon tattoos? Try such tattoos on the thigh. In fact, you can opt for a watercolor dragon tattoo on the thigh and see how it looks.
Tribal Dragon Tattoo Designs
36. One unique idea would be to try dragon wing tattoos. You don’t have to show the dragon. Just get tattooed with dragon wings on your back. You are the Dragon Now.
tiger and dragon tattoo
37. Yin yang is an important part of Chinese culture. Dragons are an important part of Chinese culture. So why not try a dragon yin yang tattoo? It will show the perfect balance of good and evil in life.
japanese dragon head tattoo
38. Different cultures portray different type of dragons. Some seems to be inspired from dinosaurs. Here is a unique dragon tattoo on forearm.
dragon tattoo arm sleeve
39. Japanese dragon tattoo looks more like sea serpents. They have beard around their face and hairs on their back.
dragon tattoos on thighs
40. Here is one interesting medieval dragon tattoo that has small forelegs and large hind legs.
Dragon Heads Tattoos
41. The best thing about tribal dragon tattoo is that they leave most to your imagination. The artist often leaves spaces with in the tattoo thus giving a unique look to it.
skull and dragon tattoo
42. Instead of trying a dragon tattoo in just one color you can give different colors to its body parts. For example, you can have the body of the dragon in a light color and the wings of a dragon in dark color.
dragon sleeve tattoo ideas
43. Many people like to try sea dragon tattoo in place of a real dragon. So if you are looking for seadragon tattoo here is how it would look like.
dragon forearm tattoo designs
44. You don’t have to go for large dragon tattoos. Tiny dragon tattoo like this will also look good. You can try them on the wrist or fingers.
dragon tattoo sleeves designs
45. Back shoulder is favourite of many boys and girls to try dragon tattoos. A tribal dragon tattoo would look good on back shoulder.
Simple Dragon Tattoo Ideas
46. If you opt for tribal dragon tattoo then I would suggest you make it even more attractive by adding another ink on the outlines. Red ink suits the most in such designs.
what goes with a dragon tattoo
47. A unique dragon tattoo idea would be to try a tribal design in the shape of the alphabet. The alphabet should be your name initial. For example here is a dragon tattoo in the shape of letter S.
full sleeve dragon tattoo
48. There are many movies, anime, and cartoons that showed a different kind of dragons. One of my favorites is water dragon tattoos. They look better if given shiny colors.
dragon head tattoo designs
49. You will be amazed by the look of watercolor dragon tattoo or pastel dragon tattoos. Even though they will fade away soon yet they will leave a long lasting impression.
dragon tattoo on side of body
50. Side posing dragon tattoo will look great on one side of the body. For example here is a side posing dragon tattoo on the side of the rib cage of this girl.