Teardrop tattoos are among the most popular tattoo designs, due to their beauty and powerful symbolism. These designs typically represent sadness or grief, but can also show strength and resilience in the face of difficult times.
I fell in love with the Teardrop tattoo ever since I saw one on Ryan Gosling’s face in the movie The Place beyond the pines.
Teardrop Tattoo Ideas
Most people associate teardrop with immense sadness. But do you know that you can add this powerful tattoo as a motif to other designs to give a unique new meaning to the whole piece? Here are some tried and tested ideas:
1. Scorpion Teardrop: Opt for a teardrop tattoo that looks like the poison of a scorpion. This tattoo design symbolizes fierceness and attitude, making it perfect for younger-generation tattoo lovers. Ask your tattoo artist to focus on the texture and depth of the tattoo so that the teardrop stands out against your skin.
2. Dreamcatcher Teardrop: Not all teardrop tattoos represent sadness and a broken heart. For ex., a dreamcatcher-style teardrop design is meaningful because of its association with good luck and protection from bad dreams. It also represents hope, which makes it an ideal choice for those looking to express their positive outlook on life.
3. Floral Teardrop: Usually people associate Flowers with beauty, romance, sacredness, and hope. But Do you know that so adding a small teardrop design to it will make the whole piece more meaningful? This minor motif will show appreciation for the values and things you have in your life. It’s a great pick for those who want to express their appreciation for beauty in the world.
4. Yin and Yang Teardrop: The Yin Yang tattoo is a symbol of balance, peace, and harmony. Adding a teardrop to it is perfect for anyone looking to show that they strive to keep their life in balance, no matter how hard it may be sometimes.
5. Heart Teardrop: The heart is associated with love, making this design an ideal choice for someone looking to share a message of love with the world. The tear shape brings attention to the meaning behind the tattoo, as well as provides a unique shape that stands out on the skin.
6. Anchor Teardrop: Anchors are often used as symbols of hope and stability, so a teardrop anchor tattoo can be used to show that the wearer is looking for strength, peace, and comfort in difficult times. Try to give the teardrop a modern look, one that is inspired by emojis to imply that you are fed up fo the current tech.
7. Dragonfly Teardrop: This beautiful design represents transformation and renewal. It’s a great choice for anyone going through a period of change in their life and needing something to remind them that things can get better.
8. Wolf Teardrop: Wolves cry only for their wolf pack. So wolf teardrop tattoo makes perfect sense for those who are deeply rooted in their family. Such tattoos will represent protection and loyalty while also implying that you are powerful with your pack.
9. Phoenix Teardrop: A Teardrop with a phoenix tattoo is a symbol of rebirth, so it’s perfect for anyone who wants to remind themselves that anything is possible with enough determination and courage. You can make the ashes look like a drop of tears that will also symbolize past mistakes.
10. Feather Teardrop: If you want a tattoo that you can use as a reminder to stay true to yourself then do try feather teardrop. Feathers imply keeping life lightweight no matter how hard it may become at times.
11. Snakeskin Teardrop: Snakes represent renewal and transformation, so combining them with a teardrop can be used to show that the wearer is embracing their journey of self-discovery. The creative design of the snakeskin adds texture and dimension to the tattoo, making it stand out on any skin tone.
12. Moon Teardrop: This tattoo is a reminder to look for strength in times of darkness, no matter how hard life can be. This design stands out from other teardrops due to its complex details and striking color palette, making it perfect for those who want something unique yet meaningful.
13. Cross Teardrop: The Cross is a symbol of faith and belief, so it’s ideal for anyone looking to express their religious beliefs through body art. The tear shape gives it a unique look as well as a powerful meaning (top stay positive).
14. Hummingbird Teardrop: A hummingbird is tiny so you can add one inside a teardrop and there you have the most beautiful and unique tattoo design ever. This tattoo is a reminder to celebrate life and appreciate the small moments that make it special.
15. Butterfly Teardrop: Butterflies represent transformation and new beginnings. It’s perfect for anyone who wants to show that they are embracing change and looking forward to the future.
16. Memorial Teardrops: Memorial teardrop tattoos can be customized to include symbols, dates, or words that help keep the memories of lost loved ones alive.
Teardrop Tattoos Meanings and Symbolisms
The teardrop tattoo has many meanings. It all depends on the context in which it is placed. In many scenarios, a teardrop tattoo symbolizes that the wearer has endured hardship or loss and survived.
In other cases, it is seen as a sign of remembrance for someone who has passed away. It can also be used to declare loyalty and respect for those who have shared positive life experiences with the wearer.
Some people will get a teardrop tattoo as an act of defiance against society or a show of strength after overcoming personal struggles. No matter what the reason may be, these tattoos are powerful symbols that serve to remind us that we can persevere and rise above our difficult times.
Most people related teardrop tattoos with loyalty and devotion, but many artists have used them to represent strength and resilience.
Apart from this, these designs are one of the best options to signify the bond shared between friends, family members, and partners who are no longer in the physical world. It can be a beautiful reminder of the ones we’ve loved and lost or a mark of triumph over personal struggles.
Many people choose to get a teardrop tattoo with the name of their lost loved one written inside or next to it. This is a beautiful way to honor someone special and keep their memory alive. See our photo gallery to understand how many people have chosen to get these tattoos inked on their bodies:
Filled in Teardrop Tattoo
Girl With Teardrop tattoo
Also Read Cherub tattoos
Butterfly Teardrop Tattoos
To conclude this post, we will say that yes teardrop tattoos have been used in various cultures around the world to show mourning sorrow, or grief but can also be used to indicate strength in tough times. In some cases, it has been seen as a sign of revenge or retribution for someone who wronged the wearer. Opt for this tattoo with pride and you will enjoy it for life.
References: Teardrop Wiki