The Iris flower tattoos hold a lot of significance and hence it is widely popular. The iris, for centuries, has been a beacon of hope and faith. The ancient Egyptians even associated it with the soul’s resurrection.
The ancient Greeks held the iris flower in high esteem i.e. as a message from the gods, symbolizing power and royalty. They named it after the goddess Iris, the divine messenger and personification of the rainbow.
The flower’s 3 petals are believed to represent faith, courage, and wisdom. Moreover, the iris has ties to the French monarchy, with the Fleur-de-lis, a symbol of French royalty, being inspired by the flower’s shape.
Iris Flower Tattoo Ideas
There are many reasons to choose an Iris flower tattoo. It can be due to its representation of wisdom and Knowledge or due to its association with the French monarchy and the House of Bourbon thereby making it a symbol of power and regality. If you have decided to get ink with this beautiful flower then here are some ideas that you can try
1. Black and Grey Iris Tattoo: For tattoo artists, a black and grey iris tattoo offers a unique opportunity to show their shading skills. The interplay of light and shadow on the iris’s petals requires a deft hand and a keen eye for detail.
2. Watercolor Iris Tattoo: One of the defining features of a watercolor iris tattoo is its brilliant use of color. It can be adapted to suit various sizes, from delicate wrist or ankle designs to more elaborate back or thigh pieces.
3. Minimalist Iris Tattoo: Instead of getting lost in complex designs and embellishments opt for a minimalist design that hones in on the purity and grace of the iris flower itself
4. Iris Bouquet Tattoo: The defining feature of an iris bouquet tattoo is its diversity. Instead of focusing on a single iris flower, this design brings together a multitude of iris blooms, each with its distinct characteristics.
5. Geometric Iris Tattoo: Geometric shapes, such as triangles, circles, and polygons can be integrated into an iris flower tattoo. Geometric shapes are often associated with stability, structure, and resilience. They represent a foundation upon which other elements can be built.
6. Iris and Hummingbird Tattoo: An iris and hummingbird tattoo is another great option for those who love nature. The hummingbird’s delicate nature mixed with the iris flower’s strength and beauty creates a beautiful and unique tattoo design.
7. Iris with a Quote Tattoo: An iris with a quote tattoo is perfect for those who want to add a little more meaning to their tattoo. Choose a quote that has personal meaning to you and have it written alongside the beautiful flower.
8. Iris and Anchor Tattoo: An iris and anchor tattoo is perfect for those who love nautical themes. The iris symbolizes strength and courage, while the anchor represents stability and perseverance.
9. Blackwork Iris Flower Tattoo: If you are looking for a tattoo with bold black lines and shading, a blackwork iris flower tattoo might just be perfect for you. This tattoo is created entirely in black ink and features complicated patterns and shading.
10. Iris and Butterfly Tattoo: For those who choose an iris and butterfly tattoo, it often signifies a heartfelt connection to nature. It may represent a love for the outdoors, a passion for gardening, or a personal journey of growth and transformation. Each time the wearer looks at their tattoo, they are reminded of the amazing beauty and transient nature of life, encapsulated in the iris and butterfly.
11. Iris and Moon Tattoo: Do you like celestial themes and the ever-changing beauty of the night sky? Opt for an Iris and Moon tattoo that will symbolize your love for the cosmos, a love for stargazing, and also your journey of self-discovery and growth.
12. Iris and Heart Tattoo: The heart is a symbol of love, affection, and passion whereas Iris symbolizes fortitude and survival in harsh conditions. So a tattoo of these two will tell the story of a person who has faced challenges, demonstrated resilience, and emerged with a heart full of love and passion.
13. Iris and Feather Tattoo: An iris and feather tattoo is one of the best options for those who love nature and our planet. It may symbolize a love for birds, an affinity for gardens, or a personal journey of growth and transformation.
14. Iris and Snake Tattoo: Together, the iris and snake in this tattoo create a powerful and meaningful narrative. It suggests that transformation and change are not to be feared but embraced with strength and courage. It speaks to the idea that, like the iris flower, individuals can find beauty and resilience amid change.
Iris Flower Tattoos Meanings and Symbolisms
Iris flower tattoos are a charming way to express your personality and pay tribute to nature. But did you know that the iris flower holds different meanings in different cultures and mythologies? Here are various significances and symbolism of iris flower tattoos that you might not have heard of before.
Greek Mythology: According to Greek mythology, the iris was a messenger of the gods who conveyed messages from heaven to earth. People believed that the presence of an iris signaled the end of winter and the beginning of spring. An iris flower tattoo could symbolize hope, faith, and restoration after hardship.
Christian Symbolism: In Christian theology, the iris represents the Holy Trinity: the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Due to its three petals in a triangular shape, the iris is believed to be a sign of spiritual wholeness, purity, and devotion. Iris tattoos can thus signify religious devotion, faith, and trust.
Artistic Interpretations: Iris flowers are not only rich in meanings but also come in an array of colors and shapes. Purple irises are associated with royalty, while yellow irises represent passion, blue irises stand for faith and hope and white irises symbolize innocence. An iris tattoo design could reflect your unique personality, emotions, or beliefs.
Also remember that each color will signify a different meaning, for ex:
- Purple Iris: Represents royalty, wisdom, and admiration.
- Blue Iris: Symbolizes faith, hope, purity, and serenity.
- Yellow Iris: Denotes friendship, happiness, and new beginnings.
- White Iris: Stands for purity, innocence, sympathy, and condolences.
- Pink Iris: Symbolizes love, admiration, femininity, and grace.
- Red Iris: A rare hue, it represents passion, courage, and strength.
Now let’s jump into our photo gallery of Iris flower tattoos that will suit both men and women:
Iris Flower Half Sleeve Tattoo
Watercolor Iris Flower Tattoo
Also Read Rock Band Tattoo
February Birth Flower – Iris Tattoo
Minimalist Iris Flower Tattoo
The iris flower’s versatility allows you to convey a wide range of emotions and concepts. Different colors symbolize different meanings. Purple for power, blue for hope, yellow for passion, and white for purity – each shade of iris flower carries its unique significance. Wisely choose your design, color, and artist so that you are proud of your tattoo all your life.
References: Iris Flower Wiki