Sun and Moon tattoos are one of the most popular tattoo designs among couples. It defines completeness. This is the reason why many boys and girls madly in love with each other opt for this tattoo design. Here we present you 50 awesome sun and moon tattoos ideas for couples along with its meaning and ideal placement –
Moon and Sun Tattoos
1. In the old times people did not knew much about sun and moon so they had their own tattoo drawings and styles of sun and moon. Here is an ancient sun and moon tattoo on the side of this girl.
2. One awesome sun and moon tattoo idea would be to try the kissing version. But please don’t make sun so cold and unresponsive (If you know what I mean).
3. Aztec civilization widely accepted Sun as a powerful god. You will find many sun tattoos inspired from Aztec civilization. However the Aztec sun and moon tattoos are not so widely popular.
4. Egyptians knew how to describe major events in minimal drawings. Here is a minimal Egyptian sun and moon tattoo on both wrists of this girl.
5. Shoulder is not so popular placement for sun and moon tattoos because the couples have to move sideways to show them. Still here is one elegant sun and moon tattoo for you to consider.
6. Many guys love to show their evil side or even dual personality. For this an evil sun and moon tattoo is a great idea.
7. Girls can give a feminine look to their sun and moon tattoo by giving it anime eyes. This girly sun and moon tattoo on the shoulder has very expressive eyes.
8. Many artists consider that adding a mirror design to a sun and moon tattoo brings good luck. If you too believe this then here is an ideal choice for you.
9. There is another popular version of sun and moon tattoos. It is called the gypsy version. Gypsy sun and moon tattoo won’t have eyes.
10. I am always attracted to Hawaiian tribal art. Here is a Hawaiian sun and moon tattoo worn on both sides of chest by this man.
Meaning of Sun and Moon tattoos
What is the meaning of sun and moon tattoo according to you? Both are considered to be circular in shape. A circle is often associated with circle of life. Sun and Moon tattoos are very much like Chinese Yin and Yang tattoos. Just like Yin and Yang they complete each other.
Sun is considered as manly, powerful, life giving while moon is considered as tolerant, unbreakable and mysterious. Both define nature of men and women in several ways. This is the reason why sun and moon tattoos became popular among couples.
Sun and Moon Tattoo Designs
11. Japanese art has its own way to show the meaning of life. This Japanese sun and moon tattoo show the warmth and positivism sunny day along with the loneliness and emptiness of a cold shivering full moon night. You can add tattoo related quotes to it.
12. If you want to have a majestic sun and moon tattoo design then give both a realistic and mysterious look. Showing sun rays in the tattoo would be a good idea.
13. How about trying a geometric sun and moon tattoo? You can just focus on circular shapes and add an arrow tattoo to it.
14. If you love nature then a cool idea would be to try sun and moon butterfly tattoo where you add sun and moon on two wings of butterfly.
15. Dreamcatcher is considered a lucky ornament by native americans. You can have a sun and moon dreamcatcher tattoo if you believe in luck.
16. Eclipse was considered as something of a tragedy or wrath of gods by ancient tribes. However today it is a popular astrophysics event. If you are a science geek then such sun and moon tattoo would suit you.
17. Another cool tattoo idea would be to give a zodiac feel to your sun and moon tattoo. Here is a sun and moon Gemini tattoo.
18. Giving perfect geometrical shapes to sun and moon won’t turn out good; because despite popular belief sun and moon are not perfect circles.
19. Henna is a good choice if you wish to have temporary tattoos. Here is a temporary sun and moon henna tattoo.
20. Infinity tattoos are often opted by couples. How about trying sun and moon infinity tattoos that shows endless eternal love?
Sun and Moon Tattoo Ideas
21. Ankle is not so common choice for tattoos but if you wish to have a matching tattoo with your loved one then ankle is perfect place. Here is perfectly placed sun and moon tattoo on ankle (my favorite choice for cool tattoos for girls)
22. You can have Aztec style sun and moon tattoos on your forearm and here is an inspirational design.
23. If you wish to show sun and moon tattoo in one design then you will surely need huge space for it and back is perfect choice.
24. Not all sun and moon tattoos need to be large in size. Small sun and moon tattoos like this will sit perfectly on body parts like fingers or behind the ear.
25. You might not know about it but the bohemian style tattoos are perfect choice for people who want funky tattoos. Here is a sun and moon tattoo in bohemian style.
26. I am not a big fan of dotwork tattoo art but honestly I think that sun and moon dotwork tattoos stand out of the crowd.
27. Sun and moon are surely not perfectly circular but when it comes to tattoo drawing you have to make them perfectly circular or otherwise they will look odd.
28. Here is a simple yet impressive sun and moon tattoo design that will suit girls.
29. Hand is also ideal place for sun and moon tattoos. However, I do not understand the concept of angry moon tattoo. It is probably the dark side of the moon.
30. Kissing sun and moon tattoos is perfect choice for couples who are madly in love with each other and cannot spend a second without each other.
Matching Sun and Moon Tattoos
31. Do you understand this sun and moon tattoo? I think the lady is having an affair with half moon and the sunflower is not happy with it. It might be a cool men tattoo idea but it is not suitable for couples.
32. Tiny and minimal sun and moon tattoos like this will suit those couples who are also blue collar workers and can not have visible tattoos.
33. Your matching sun and moon tattoos need not to be visible to the world. In fact they would look even better if they are visible to just you.
34. Usually sun tattoos are masculine and moon tattoos are feminine but here the artist showed a different side. Many will probably like it.
35. If you show the moon larger than the sun then this means that the woman is protective to her love and can cross any limit for him.
36. Yes there are sun and moon tattoos for friend zoned boys and girls (sorry). Here is one such design that will suit best friends.
37. It is not compulsory for the man to get sun tattoo and the woman to get moon tattoo. In fact sun and moon tattoos for couples can be tried in any style.
38. Another cool choice for sun and moon tattoos for guys would be collar bones i.e. just above the chest.
39. Here is a unique idea for sun and moon tattoos for sisters. The artist showed a moon hidden inside a sun. This suggests that the elder sister is protective of her younger sister.
40. Watercolor sun and moon tattoos can be a waste of time and money. This is because they will fade away quickly and will look blurred after some time.
Cool Sun and Moon Tattoos
41. The hindu symbol of mandala can be an ideal choice to use along with the sun and moon tattoos just like this. It would be cool women tattoo idea in my opinion.
42. Here is a small variation in sun and moon tattoo where the sun is clearly shown laying over the moon.
43. Many guys and girls love to have sun and moon tattoos on calves but in my opinion it is not an ideal place to have tattoos that are close to heart.
44. Here is a really small and minimal sun and moon tattoos that might go unnoticed but surely will remain special to you two.
45. This small sun and moon tattoos seems to be inspired from ladybugs.
46. It would be better to add personalized romantic quotes to your sun and moon tattoo instead of going for the common ones.
47. Sun moon and earth tattoos are not suggested for couples. However if you are astronomy lover then it is perfect choice for you.
48. Adding eye to the sun and moon tattoo design shows that you are always watching your lover.
49. Another common choice is sun moon and lotus tattoos. The lotus represent purity and thus it signifies pure love when added to sun and moon tattoos.
50. Lower back is my personal favourite choice for sun and moon tattoos.
Which Sun and moon tattoo design you liked the most?