Marigold tattoos are some of the most popular designs on the market today. And with good reason. Marigolds are beautiful, vibrant flowers that come in a wide range of different colors and styles, making them an excellent choice for just about anyone who wants to get inked.
The traditional marigold tattoo (commonly known as Calendula) is considered to be a spiritual flower that has long been thought of as having auspicious symbolism. It is believed to bring good luck, happiness, and good fortune in one’s life.
As the marigold has yellow petals, the color yellow is commonly associated with this flower meaning gold or success.
Marigold Tattoos Meanings and Symbolisms
The marigold tattoo is a fresh and positive symbol of life, hope, and laughter that can help to get anyone through any illness or hardship. It’s no wonder it has become one of the most sought-after flower tattoos available today.
Marigolds are gorgeous yellow and orange flowers that have a deep meaning in many cultures. They symbolize prosperity, love, fidelity, fertility, attraction, and even death.
The ancient Aztec culture believed that marigolds were powerful offerings to their gods. Many years later, when Spanish explorer Hernan Cortes landed in Mexico in 1519 AD, the thousands of golden marigolds adorning the streets of Tenochtitlan (the capital city) astounded him.
He wrote about how his men had been dazzled by these stunning flowers – which is why they named them “marigolds”.
Today marigolds are still used in many cultures to adorn and decorate religious festivals, celebrations, and ceremonies. They are also a popular choice for tattoo artists as they can be easily incorporated into a range of different designs.
In short, marigold tattoos tend to be an uplifting choice for those looking for good luck in all aspects of their lives: spiritually, physically, and emotionally. They represent overcoming challenges with happiness, optimism, and positivity – which makes them a great choice for both men and women. If you are considering getting one then why not go for it?
You never know what your future holds but you’ll always have a marigold tattoo to remind you of those special times in your life that brought happiness and good fortune. You can’t go wrong with this classic flower.
Marigold Tattoos Ideas
If you are thinking of getting a marigold tattoo, here are our favorite ideas to help you choose a design that’s perfect for you:
1. A simple outline of a single marigold flower – This is an elegant design that would look great as part of a larger sleeve or arm tattoo, or by itself on your ankle or wrist.
2. A field full of bright yellow marigolds – This design would look amazing on a large part of your body, such as the back or chest.
3. A close-up of a single marigold flower – This is an excellent choice if you want to highlight the intricate details and bright colors of these lovely flowers.
4. A group of marigolds surrounding a beloved person’s name – If you have someone special in your life who loves marigolds, this can be a great way to honor them with ink that will stay with you always.
5. A portrait of someone holding a giant marigold flower – This would make for an incredibly striking tattoo, especially if the portrait is life-like and realistic. The contrast between the softness of the marigold flower and the strong lines of the person’s face would be truly unforgettable.
6. A large mandala-inspired design with marigolds – Mandala designs are very popular right now, so if that style speaks to you, why not combine it with your love of marigolds? This would make an excellent tattoo for your upper back or chest.
7. A two-sided tattoo featuring a patterned background and a close-up of a single marigold flower in red – If you want something unique, this is a great choice. One side could have a geometric background with colorful flowers, while the other shows just one perfectly detailed red marigold.
8. A large marigold tattoo featuring the infinity symbol – This is a beautiful, elegant design that would look great on your forearm.
9. A small but detailed marigold tattoo in blue-green – If you want something simple but still with maximum impact, this might be the perfect choice for you. It would work well as part of a sleeve or another larger piece of art, or even just on its somewhere like your ankle or wrist.
10. A pattern of marigolds and butterflies surrounding someone’s name – This is an excellent way to honor both yourself and someone special in your life at the same time.
11. Try a lovely full-back piece that shows multiple marigolds growing from the branches of an orange tree – symbolizing both happiness and growth.
12. How about a beautiful floral sleeve that features dozens of bright yellow marigolds with subtle shading for added depth?
13. A unique idea would be to opt for elegant marigold flowers that are only partially filled in, making them a great choice for anyone who wants something more subtle.
14. This larger tattoo shows marigolds and butterflies growing out of an onyx pot – perfect for anyone looking to honor the memory of someone close to them.
15. Ask your artist to show marigolds growing from a wilting tree branch (which symbolizes death).
Apart from these ideas, you can also vary your designs based on the number of marigolds you choose. A marigold tattoo can feature either a single or multiple flowers depending on personal preference and taste.
A single one may include other symbols such as sunflowers, hearts, or stars to give it an additional meaning like love, beauty, and purity. Generally speaking, however, if you are opting for a single marigold-colored tattoo then it probably represents your spirituality and connectedness with the flower.
Multiple marigolds on the other hand tend to be a more robust, cheerful, and vibrant symbol seen in those that want to share their good fortune with others.
This is probably why they are commonly inked on the lower back area of women’s bodies where they can be easily viewed by all. However, this does not mean you cannot have them anywhere else as placement is up to personal preference too.
To give you better ideas, here is our photo gallery of the finest marigold tattoo designs that any man or woman can proudly wear
Marigold Floral Tattoo
October Birth Flower Tattoo
Also Read Mushroom Tattoo
Traditional Tattoo of Marigold Flower
Neo Traditional Marigold Flower Tattoo
Marigold tattoos often carry great life lessons – sometimes difficult ones – but if you keep your spirits high then whatever life throws at us you can get through anything in one piece. It is an inspiring tattoo and meaningful tattoo design – and one that you are likely to always love no matter how old or how young you are.
References: Marigold Wiki