If having a beard is your style statement, then keeping the beard looking well-groomed at all times figures high on your beard care regimen. Several products help achieve this end. One of the essential products that you should include in your toiletries list is a beard wash. Using the right beard wash can do wonders for your appearance. And we make selecting the right beard wash a piece of cake with our detailed guide that includes all the key parameters.
Using a beard wash is relatively easy. First, take a small amount of the wash on your palm, massage it into your beard and neck. Then rinse well with water and towel dry, and you are good to go. Selecting the right beard wash requires an evaluation on certain parameters, and professionals vet these. This is important considering that the beard is a prominent facial feature and requires the right product. But what do professionals base their decision on? Here they are-
- What are the key ingredients and oils used?
- Are they suitable for different beard types?
- What is the nature of the scent it leaves – whether overpowering or mild?
- Does the wash tackle facial hair issues such as itching, dandruff, chafing?
- Will the chemical formulation do any damage in the long run?
Now that you know the questions read on and see the beard washes that satisfied these parameters. You are sure to find out the beard wash that most suits you and your personality. But, if you are in a hurry, here are our top recommendations.
|Beard Wash & Beard Conditioner Set w/Argan & Jojoba Oils - Softens & Strengthens - Natural...||8,711 Reviews||$19.99 $14.88||Buy on Amazon|
|GRAVE BEFORE SHAVE BEARD WASH SHAMPOO 6oz. Tube||2,421 Reviews||$12.49||Buy on Amazon|
|Shea Moisture Beard Wash and Detangler Set, Maracuja Oil & Shea Butter, Beard Wash Deep Clean &...||681 Reviews||$18.49||Buy on Amazon|
Review of Top 10 Best Beard Washes
1. Beard Wash and Beard Conditioner Set w/Argan & Jojoba Oils
This highly rated beard wash comes with a powerful conditioner as well. It is formulated with two oils that are well known for their growth properties- Argan and Jojoba. This combination of oils promises to keep your beard looking both thick and shiny.
This beard wash can help in taming both irritation and dandruff with its ideal formulation, two key beard issues. Plus, with its exotic sandalwood scent, it can make you smell good without seeming overpowering. There is also peppermint and eucalyptus-scented wash.
The conditioner gives excellent moisturization and incorporates a beard growth conditioner as well. The bottle size is ideal and lasts for quite a while, so it is superior. In addition, the Viking Brand is one of the most trusted names in the industry. Experts in the industry rate this product highly.
- Ideal high-end ingredients for facial hair growth
- Suits all kinds of facial hair – thick, scanty, rough, bushy, knotted, tangled
- Mild but exotic sandalwood scent
- Priced reasonably
- Ideal pump bottles make usage easy
- Helps in both itching and dandruff
- Can be drying at times
- Top-tier Beard Kit: Formulated to aid in healthy beard growth, this beard shampoo and conditioner kit hydrates, cleans and softens, giving your beard shine and life.
- No Itching or Irritation: Say goodbye to itchy irritated skin and get rid of beard dandruff. Wash and condition your beard, and look and feel great.
2. Grave Before Shave Beard Wash Shampoo
This beard wash shampoo is filled with the goodness of Argan oil, famed for its hair growth properties. This is also helpful to keep the beard both clean and moisturized. It is gently formulated and therefore can be used every day without any adverse effects. In addition, its gentle, powerful formulation ensures that it is suitable for all beard types.
The smell has been thoughtfully conceived as an old-time barbershop. Yes, you read that right. The same fresh and memory-evoking scent of a barbershop. A very masculine smell but not overpowering at the same time. A fragrance that most men love.
If you have a frizzy or tangled beard, this product is formulated to leave it feeling soft, cleansed, and manageable. Unruly beards will love this formulation and feel tamer after use. The exciting aspect is that this suits all hair, including that on your head though it is designed for your facial hair.
- Argan oil is great for growth
- Suits all kinds of facial hair and can be used on all hair as well.
- Old barber shop smell
- Priced reasonably
- Lathers well
- Can help tackle itching
- Gentle formulation
- Great on tangled and frizzy hair
Can be drying in some cases
Not suitable for totally wild beards as they tend to fluff out
- TAMES UNRULY BEARDS & MAKES GROOMING EASIER! Our gentle formula cleans and hydrates your beard and skin to reduce itchiness and dandruff (or beard druff).
- Fresh and masculine scent without being overpowering. Leaves your beard looking healthy and smelling great after every wash!
3. Beard Wash and a Detangler Set for a full Beard Maracuja Oil and Shea Butter
This beard wash from the House of Shea butter is lightweight while at the same time being deeply nourishing as it includes Shea butter as one of its key ingredients. The presence of Maracuja oil makes it tough on the grime, soft on your skin while being deeply cleansing on the facial hair. Coarse and thick facial hair would benefit the most from this combination.
Animal lovers would appreciate the fact that it has not been tested on animals. It is also paraben-free, sulfate-free, mineral oil-free, petroleum, and phthalates-free. This combination renders it safe on your beard and facial skin. This product is, therefore, suitable for daily use.
The wash comes with a detangler that deeply conditions and thereby helps detangle. Both products are lightweight gel. The after scent is of essential oil. And the Shea butter used in the shampoo is handcrafted by women from Africa to help support communities.
- The combination of Shea butter and Maracuja oil
- Mineral oil-free, petroleum-free, propylene glycol free
- Not tested on animals
- All-natural products
- Handcrafted Shea butter is used
- Doesn’t strip the skin of oil
- Small quantity suffices
- Some men might experience breakouts while their skin adapts to it.
- CLEANSES & REFRESHES - Keep your beard cleansed and refreshed with our natural men's beard wash. Maracuja Oil and Shea Butter combine in this all natural lightweight gel cleanser. Tough on grime but soft on strands.
- KEEPS BEARD CLEANSED & FRESH - Keep full thick coarse hair cleansed and fresh with our Beard Shampoo for the ultimate beard care regimen.
4. Duke Cannon Best Beard Wash
This beard wash from the House of Duke Cannon has been specially formulated with entirely organic and natural ingredients. This renders it ideal for those who are sensitive to chemical formulations. It is also, therefore, naturally sulfate and parabens free. The product comes in a tube.
The natural ingredients include soya bean oil, citrus peel oil, barley, and wheat protein. Most of the ingredients are plant-based or organic, and there are close to nil harmful chemicals. This interesting and well-balanced combination of ingredients helps to clean, condition, strengthen, rejuvenate and moisturize facial hair and the underlying skin all at the same time. The scent is citrusy and feels fresh.
The environment-conscious can rejoice as this product is not tested on animals. This company has a big heart as a portion of the proceeds goes into benefitting U.S Veterans. For those interested, this is a made in the USA product.
- The combination of natural and organic ingredients
- Parabens free, petroleum-free, sulfate-free
- Not tested on animals
- A portion of proceeds help U.S. Veterans
- Ideal for sensitive skin
- Refreshing citrus scent
- Small quantity suffices
- Doesn’t lather well
- Careful usage to get the right amount as it is quite thin
- Duke Cannon Best Damn Beard Wash for Men, 6 Ounce - Citrus Hefeweizen Scent || Sulfate-Free. Paraben-Free
- Formulated with plant based ingredients to care for and tame your mane, while moisturizing the skin underneath it without stripping your beard of its natural oils and power.
5. Maestro’s Classic Mark of a Man Beard Wash
Next on our list is this beard wash from the house of Maestro’s. This is a safe product with no sulfate and parabens. Therefore it is also beneficial for sensitive skin and beard. Those with skin chafing and itching-related issues will enormously benefit. For those with a lot of frizz, this product makes the beards softer and easier to manage.
The formulation is unique with grapefruit, black pepper, and bergamot. It is also vegan-friendly and cruelty-free as it is not tested on animals. So if you are a supporter of the organic and vegan movement, this is the product for you. Good on your beard and great on the environment, and a classy black-tie experience to boot.
This beard wash also leaves a classy smell that the experts like. In addition, this skin-conditioning and foaming action make using it a pleasant experience.
- Unique formulation
- Parabens free and sulfate-free
- Only a small amount is required
- Good for sensitive skin and big beards
- Great foaming action
- Not tested on animals
- Tad too expensive
- Is not completely organic
6. Bluebeards Original Fresh Mint Beard Wash
A product from Bluebeards figures next on our list. If you describe your facial hair as dull, this product is made to order for you. It is so formulated as to enhance the shine of that dull-looking beard. If you are curious about its ingredients, it contains wheat amino acids and peppermint oil, among other things.
The amino acids present in the wash lock in the moisture and leave facial hair looking glossy and full of life. In addition, the peppermint oil and the menthol present leaves the skin feeling fresh after usage. So if you love that minty feel, this is just what you would like. So from dull, this wash transforms you into glossy, feeling invigorated and revitalized.
The combination of menthol and amino acids in this product helps alleviate any bread itch also is what the experts agree on. This is a made in the USA product for those interested.
- Suitable for dull facial hair
- Peppermint for that fresh feel
- Can be used daily
- Helps alleviate beard itch
- Gentle on the skin
- Good size portion
- Not sulfate-free and organic
- Little on the expensive side
- Cool soothing Peppermint awakens skin
- Adds shine to dull facial hair
7. Professor Fuzzworthy’s Beard Shampoo
Next on our list is this superior beard wash from the house of Beauty and the Bees. This shampoo comes in the form of soap but to ensure that it does not turn soggy, it comes with an eco-friendly soap dish. This makes it both long-lasting and travel-friendly. The bar feels like two shampoo bottles.
This is a safe product with no sulfate, and parabens, or chemicals. So it is also good for sensitive skin and those with itching-related issues. In addition, it has some genuinely excellent ingredients such as olive, coconut, castor oils, cocoa powder, Tasmanian seaweed extract, beeswax. This makes it perfectly suitable for dehydrated beard types.
The masculine woody scent that it leaves the user with is loved by many. The exciting feature is that this product is so safe and effective that it can be used on your face, body, head apart from the beard. So, this is a hardworking bar wash.
- Equal to two shampoo bottles
- Parabens free and sulfate-free
- Natural and organic ingredients
- Cleanses, nourishes, strengthens, and conditions
- Masculine scent
- Eco-friendly soap holder
- Soap and not a shampoo
- Professor Fuzzworthy's Beard Shampoo & Wood Magnetic Soap Holder Grooming Kit | No more soggy soap! Our Eco Friendly wood soap dish dispenser is the easy convenient way to store your beard shampoo bar in shower bath & kitchen
- Voted #1 Best Beard Shampoo | Highest rated, best price and highest quality! Toolsofmen | Concentrated solid beard wash contains NO extra water, sulfates, parabans, or chemical fillers. Beard shampoo soap bar equal ~ two 27 fl oz liquid bottles! Long lasting - Eco friendly & Travel friendly!
8. Beard Wash by Mountaineer Brand
If you are the outdoor type, you will love the scent that this wash leaves you with- timber, specifically the scent of Cedarwood and Fir needle. This wash is also specially formulated for those who have curly hair. It is devoid of triclosan, SLS, and synthetic dyes. It is also handcrafted in small batches to ensure premium quality.
The combination of essential oils of Cedar and Fir Needle and organic oils of sunflower, palm, and coconut make it all-natural, safe, and gently effective. It is further combined with organic glycerine, and the reason why its usage makes facial hair soft and manageable. Regular usage will help hair gain strength and lose its brittle nature.
This wash cleanses, hydrates, cleans without robbing your skin of its essential oils. Regular usage of this wash twice a week will reduce frizz and flakes. This is a wash handcrafted in the USA.
- Great for frizz and flake management
- SLS, synthetic dye, and triclosan-free
- Great combination of Essential and Organic oils
- Cleanses, hydrates, and helps retain the skin’s natural oils
- Fragrance of timber
- All-natural ingredients
- Might not work as effectively on coarse beards
- HYDRATE AND CLEANSE your beard with all-natural mild Castile-based shampoo and Essential Oils
- STOP STRIPPING YOUR BEARD OF ITS NATURAL OILS. Regular shampoo strips your beard of the oils Mother Nature provides naturally. When you do that, your beard gets confused and either dries out or works overtime to produce extra oil to compensate. Either way, it's a mess!
9. Jack Black Beard Wash
The next featured beard wash on our list of top 10 is Jack Black which suits all beard types. Some excellent ingredients are making up this product, and the key ingredients are Aloe leaf, Jojoba Protein, Panthenol, and Organic sea kelp.
This combination effectively cleanses, conditions, and softens the hair and the skin underneath, keeping both healthy while effectively removing the grime. It is also suitable for daily use and comes in a handy tube.
The product lathers well, and just a drop can go a long way in doing the job neatly. This is why the product, though a little expensive, lasts long and makes up for the cost. With this product, it becomes easier to maintain a beard and comes from the reputed house of Jack Black.
- Suits all beard types
- Cruelty-free products
- Powerful natural ingredients
- Cleans, conditions and softens
- Aloe vera scent
- Bottle lasts quite a while
- A wee bit expensive
- Some dislike the smell
10. Beard Guyz Beard Wash
Its unique formulation is made to order for sensitive skin, which generally tends to break out when subjected to rough chemical treatment. The Argan oil and Keratin present give the right nutritional input to your beard and aid its growth. It also lathers well and helps in profoundly cleaning out the impurities and grime.
The beard guys are so confident about their product that they promise to refund the total cost unless you are 100% satisfied. It is also reasonably priced and comes in a bottle.
- Suits all beard types
- Great price
- Healthy blend of natural ingredients
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- Subtle pleasant aroma
- Effectively tackles beard odor
- The packaging tends to leak on transportation
- No variants
Buying Guide: How to Choose the Best Beard Wash?
The best beard wash should be selected keeping in mind the following factors which are the most important.
This is one of the key determinants. The facial skin and hair are more sensitive than the skin on the scalp. This means that the ingredients chosen should be suitable for facial hair. People have also realized what experts have been saying for a while, that organic ingredients are better in the long run as they do not damage the skin, are gentler, and safe for regular usage.
The oils used in the beard wash are essential as they provide the much-needed nourishment, moisturization and give it that much-needed sheen. Without the presence of oils, the wash would render the beard clean but dry. Therefore, one has to choose a beard wash with the oil that one is most adjusted to. Coconut oil, Argan oil, Tea tree oil are some of the oils used.
3. Suitability for Different Beard Types:
Beards come in a variety of styles. There are thick beards, long ones, curly beards, rough beards, knotted ones, bushy tangled ones, shaggy, coarse, and intense ones. So it is vital to choose the beard wash formulated for your beard type. For example, if you have a coarse, thick beard, choose one with a moisturizing oil to make it softer and more manageable.
If you are looking to grow your beard, choose one with the right organic oil that supports growth. If you have a frizzy beard, choose one that will not strip the beard of its natural oil but will render it softer and manage flyaways. So the first step is to study your beard type, underlying skin tone and choose the best fit for your requirements.
While this is not as crucial as the other parameters, each one prefers what they wish to smell like after use. If you have a particularly strong odour, choose a beard wash that leaves you with a pleasant smell that is long-lasting but not overpowering at the same time.
5. Specific Facial Hair and Skin Issues:
Dandruff, itching, flaking, and chafing are some issues that people with beards commonly experience. For example, someone could have a thick beard that is unmanageable and feels dry have itching on it to relieve the dryness could further aggravate I’m lead to redness and, in some cases, even bleeding. Hence, the ideal product tackles these issues effectively and safely.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
1. How do I Choose a Beard Wash?
Beard wash should be chosen, keeping in mind your beard type and the wash’s ingredients. This buying guide includes the best products chosen by experts making the job far easier.
2. Does Beard Wash Work?
Beard wash is specially formulated for facial hair and the skin. The idea is to keep both healthy and clean. Use a couple of times and see the difference for yourself.
3. Does Beard Wash Differ From a Hair Wash Product?
The skin on the face is vastly different from the hair on the head. As a result, the texture of the facial hair is far rougher.
4. Can I Wash My Beard With Just Face Wash?
If cleaning is the only priority, face wash would seem to suffice. But with a beard, there are two objectives: cleanliness and beard growth and health. For achieving these objectives, it is imperative to use a wash specifically designed for your beard containing suitable organic oils and unique ingredients that would support growth and optimize beard health.
5. How Many Times Should You Wash Your Beard?
The ideal beard care regimen would include two to three beard washes a week. This helps keep it clean without stripping its oils and making it too dry and prone to breakage.
A wild unkempt beard can spoil your personality, while a well-maintained beard can add much to your overall appeal. Part of having a well-groomed beard is using a beard wash. The list of the top 10 beard washes can help you in selecting just the right beard wash with a minimum of research and fuss. Please do leave your opinion and questions, if any, in the comments section below. Also, please stay connected with more updates on valuable products and reviews.