Has your beard started showing the first signs of grey? Or are you simply tired of your beard color and are game for a bit of adventure with color? Both the above conditions have one answer in common, the beard coloring dye. Sounds easy enough! Dab on some dye and you are done.
Now let’s get some reality check.
How do you choose the suitable color dye since there are many shades in a beard? How do you go about selecting the right shade that looks natural? And finally, how do you choose a safe brand? We work at giving these answers, and most importantly, we feature the best brands in consultation with stylists.
With this guide choosing a brand becomes more accessible than it otherwise would be. We have factored in many key customer requirements to come up with this definitive list.
So what are they?
- What are its ingredients, and how safe is it?
- How easy is it to apply?
- How long does it last?
Facial Hair colors come as a dye, usually permanent. Permanent should be understood as lasting until the grey hair grows back, which takes about 6 -8 weeks on average. Here you have the chemical and herbal variants. Then are other options which color for a day or more. Understanding your requirements helps in choosing the right type of beard dye.
This buying guide has been carefully put together with inputs from stylists and users. We have studied the products and compared their features and comparative benefits. We have included permanent- chemical and organic- and temporary colors to enable the best choice.
We have put in all the work. All you need to do is to read and choose the best beard color dye for your need. Without any further ado, let us dive into the list of products that have made it here. But, if you are in a hurry, here are our top recommendations.
|Blackbeard for Men Formula X Instant Mustache, Beard, Eyebrow and Sideburns Color - Fast, Easy,...||1,668 Reviews||$12.95||Buy on Amazon|
|Just For Men Mustache & Beard, Beard Coloring for Gray Hair with Brush Included - Color: Light...||6,616 Reviews||$36.99 $32.47||Buy on Amazon|
|Cremo No Mix & No Mess Hair and Beard Color, Light Medium Brown, 1 Count||1,565 Reviews||$36.24||Buy on Amazon|
|Grizzly Mountain Beard Dye - Organic & Natural Dark Brown Beard Dye||1,714 Reviews||$19.95||Buy on Amazon|
Review of Top 10 Best Beard Color
1. Blackbeard For Men Formula X
The Blackbeard for Men is an alternative to dye. It is an instant formula that can be applied to beard, mustache, and sideburns. It comes in a variety of colors and shades. This is an excellent alternative if there are just a few shades of grey. If you are allergic to dyes and have sensitive skin, it is hypoallergenic and has a chemical odor. It is more like a cosmetic, and therefore you can give the patch test a miss.
It makes for quick application. Only your beard needs to be dry. With the applicator brush, you can brush on color and vary it as you wish. It is a quick process, and you avoid mixing and cleaning after that is required in dyeing. Apply and leave for 60 seconds, the recommended time that the color requires to set.
The color lasts for 8 to 12 hours. So you can apply it as and when you need to. And it is water-resistant, so you can swim or exercise without worrying about the color running. The container lasts a whole month with daily application. It is also a great alternative if you desire a look that retains some grey or just wishes to touch some troublesome spots.
- A temporary color great alternative to hair dye
- It takes just a few minutes to apply and set
- Color lasts for a whole day
- It comes in a variety of shades
- Dries the beard a wee bit
- GRAY HAIRS BEGONE: Wipe out all the gray, or leave some if you like. Color your whole beard, mustache and sideburns quickly – or hit a few patches of gray in seconds. Vary the color intensity as needed to blend it perfectly. Fills gaps, too
- EASY TO USE: Just brush it on. Takes around a minute. Convenient, on-the-go. No mixing of harsh, acrid chemicals. No shower or clean-up needed. A few swipes of the handy applicator brush and you’re good to go
2. Just For Men Moustache and Beard
Just For Men is one of the most popular beard dyes currently available in the market. It comes in 12 of the most in-demand shades. With this range, it becomes fairly easy to find a suitable shade. The product is enriched with coconut oil, biotin, and aloe, which act as protectants and nourishers.
The best bit is that it is a no-ammonia product One box comes with 3 packs. It is relatively easy to use, and the instructions are laid out in detail. It comes with a brush. All that requires to be done is to mix the developer with the color base, apply with the brush, and leave on for 5 minutes, rinse, and then shampoo.
The creamy texture makes it easy to apply. But don’t leave for more than 5 minutes as the color becomes a darker shade. One precaution is to perform an allergy test at least 48 hours before use. This product is not meant for those with sensitive skin and those prone to allergies.
- 12 natural shades
- It contains coconut oil, aloe, and biotin
- Priced well
- Reputed brand
- Fairly easy to apply
- No ammonia
- The product contains PPD, which causes severe allergic reactions in a few
- Just For Men Mustache & Beard, Light Brown (M-25) Pack of 3, is beard coloring that makes getting rid of gray facial hair easy. Unlike other dyes, it restores your natural beard color, thicker and fuller look
- This men's beard coloring product is easy to use. Simply mix the color base and developer, use the brush to apply, wait five minutes, rinse the product out, shampoo, and you're done. Be sure to read and follow the enclosed leaflet for the best results
3. Cremo No Mix- No Mess- Hair and Beard Color
This product from Cremo is designed as a canister with premixed colors. The product texture is foamy and lightweight and saves the hassle of mixing and all the related mess. This is a two-in-one product and can be applied on both the hair and the beard, ensuring an even look.
A comb brush is included for applying on the beard and a fine detailing tool for the sideburns or a small goatee. The foam paste needs to be applied for 5 minutes, after which it can be washed off with warm water. You can then proceed to shampoo. The product can be reused as and when required. The color stays for about 6 weeks. It comes in a variety of shades.
The downside is that Cremo contains PPD, which some users are allergic to. This is probably the most accessible product to use and lasts for quite a while. Plus, there is no staining of the face and other parts while applying.
- Fast curing time
- Perfect packaging
- No-touch application
- Available in many shades
- Two-in-one beard and hair dye
- Fine detailing tool
- It contains PPD, which can cause severe allergies in some
- No mix, No mess, premium hair and beard color
- Ready-to-use lightweight foam formula can be stored away for repeat use
4. Grizzly Mountain Beard Dye
If you are on the lookout for a natural product, Grizzly Mountain beard Dye is by far your best bet. The base and the dye are prepared from the finest organic ingredients such as Fresh Daisy, Indigo, Henna, and Emblic. It is vegan and cruelty-free as well. The fine, coarse powder must be mixed with hot water and applied to your beard for 15 -30 minutes, depending on how thick your beard is.
The last step would need you to use a washcloth and hot water to wash it off. One cool aspect is that this dye mimics your beard and colors in shades rather than in one uniform color. The list of ingredients makes it very clear that this is a natural product and hence hypoallergenic. This product colors using the natural oxidation process.
Only the exterior of your follicles is colored. But since this is a natural product, it might not dye to perfection the way a chemical dye does. So it might take a little bit of trial and error to get it figured out just right. This is probably the safer alternative if you have used chemical dyes and been at the receiving end of allergies.
- 100% natural and organic ingredients
- Cruelty-free and vegan
- Safe alternative to chemical dyes
- Ideal for sensitive skin
- It lasts for up to 6 weeks
- It takes time to get the color right
- The shade might not be as perfect as with a chemical dye
- The Original Beard Dye: Permanent, 100% organic and chemical free
- Little chance of irritation/Hypoallergenic: Gentle, natural alternative to harsh drugstore brand beard dyes
5. Clairol Natural Instincts Semi-Permanent Hair Color Kit
As the name indicates, Clairol has some healthy natural ingredients like Aloe, Protein, Vitamin E, and good news. It has no ammonia. The presence of these natural ingredients acts as a conditioner and protects the beard. It does contain peroxide, though in lesser quantities. This beard dye doubles up as both a head and beard dye.
The color in the form of a cream is easy to apply, and application time and curing time would take 10-12 minutes. Keep on for 20 minutes maximum if you have a stubborn shade of grey. Then rinse and apply the Color Conditioning Treatment and leave for 2 minutes. Rinse once more.
This conditioner has to be used once a week to maintain and add shine. The color lasts for 28 days or 28 shampoos, whichever is later. The color of this brand is generally darker than stated; therefore, always go for the lighter version of the shade you have in mind. The overall result is very natural-looking.
- It lasts for 28 shampoo washes
- No ammonia
- Aloe, Protein, and Vitamin E provide nourishment
- It can be used for beard and hair
- Natural-looking shades
- 10 minute application time
- Conditioner for shine and maintenance
- Does contain peroxide
- Not for those prone to allergies
- They day for gray is not today! Get gray coverage and control for 28 days in only 10 minutes
- Made with nourishing ingredients (vitamin E, aloe and protein) to keep your hair looking strong and healthy
6. Bigen EZ Color For Men
Bigen EZ color for men comes in a pack of six. It is also available in several color variants. It can be used to dye both the beard as well as hair. It does not contain dreaded ammonia but does contain peroxide though in lower quantities. Olive oil and Aloe add the vital nourishment element.
This dye is easy to apply. It comes as two creams that need to be mixed and applied, only as much as you need. The tubes can be stored for future use as toothpaste, and therefore, no dye is wasted. The cream comes with a comb for easy application. Coverage is excellent.
One excellent point is that the beard gets dyed, but the skin doesn’t get stained in the process. The color lasts for 3-4 weeks. If you have a known history of allergy to PPD, you would want to give this product a miss as it does contain some PPD. For others, it is an excellent pick with great results.
- Functions as both beard and hair dye
- Olive oil and Aloe nourish
- No ammonia
- Doesn’t stain
- Tube form helps in optimum usage
- Natural looking coverage
- Available in several shades
- Presence of PPD might irritate some
7. Godefroy Professional Hair Color Tint Kit
This kit is beautiful and has everything from the developer to the dish to the large and small applicator brush. Truly professional! The best bit is that the color comes in capsules- 20 to a pack- so that you can use the exact quantity, and wastage is eliminated. Open the capsule, mix tint with the developer and apply the resultant cream.
Easy, no-hassle technique. No odor as well. But one aspect needs clarification. This kit is for touch-ups and covering greys, be it on beard, sideburns, temples, and mustaches. It blends well, and the effect is natural, and the coverage lasts for close to 6 weeks. This makes it an absolute value for money product. The kit comes in a variety of tints and is salon-tested.
The instruction manual accompanying the product details how long it should be allowed to stand for optimum color. The product is ammonia and parabens-free and cruelty-free as well and is an excellent choice for spot coverage without having to worry about allergies.
- Great for spot coverage
- No ammonia, odor, and parabens
- Effects last for 6 weeks
- Easy to apply
- Salon tested
- It blends and gives a natural feel
- Capsules minimise wastage
- Little pricey
- Shipping inconsistencies
- 20 application kit can be used on beards, mustaches, side burns, temples, anywhere you need a little color.
- Root touch up to cover gray hair.
8. Volt Grooming Instant Beard Color
If you are tired of dyes and their ill effects, Volt Grooming Instant Beard Color is another option. This is a hypoallergenic and dye-free formula. It contains the goodness of Vitamin E and Argan oil so that your beard stays nourished and doesn’t dry out. The instant color comes in an exciting tube with an applicator and can be easily applied in minutes.
The only prerequisite is that the beard should be neatly washed and dried. Open the tube, brush on, allow 10 minutes as curing time, and you are good to go. It is water-resistant and smudge-proof and doesn’t stain unless you haven’t given it adequate curing time. It lasts till you shampoo it so that it can stay on for 48 hours.
This Made in the US product is available in 10 shades. The pack of 2 can last for 70 applications. The only prerequisite mentioned is that the product should not be applied to oily beards and not to use any other hair cream or oil when Volt is in action.
- Instant color
- Hypoallergenic and dye-free
- Easy to apply
- Water-resistant, smudge-proof
- The goodness of Vitamin E and Argan Oil
- Available in 10 shades
- Made In the US
- If you are looking for more extended coverage, this fails
- 2 pack of VOLT Instant Beard Color (up to 70 applications). Comes with carrying pouch and instructions
- Dye-free hypoallergenic formula enriched with Argan Oil and Vitamin E
9. Hair Color for all Natural Hair Color from Discover Naturals
Discovery Naturals’ hair color relies on Nature’s colorant- Henna. Understandably, it is organic, vegan, all-natural, and cruelty-free. Made to order for sensitive skin, harsh chemicals, peroxides, metallic salts, and ammonia have no place here. This is coloring at its best. As you color, you also improve the texture of your beard and promote hair growth.
What can be better? Unlike other dyes, here, you are required to choose a product that matches your natural beard color or is one shade darker. Herbs, botanicals, and henna are mixed here to create a powder that comes in 12 shades. These shades can further be intermixed to arrive at new shades- your unique shade.
Since it can be applied to your head and beard, you can achieve a natural and even look. The kit comes with everything that you need to color, including a cap and gloves. Detailed instructions are included. Not just color but get shiny, prosperous, and healthy colors. If you desire permanent color that is chemical-free, look no further.
- 100% natural
- Herbs, henna, and botanicals create magic
- 12 shades
- Improves texture and promotes beard growth
- Reasonably priced
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- Little bit messy
- Trial and error to arrive at your shade
- Natural Hair Dye - This vegan, organic, all-natural hair dye contains the perfect blend of henna, herbs & botanicals to increase the appearance of shiny, soft hair while adding rich vibrant color.
- Chemical-Free - Made with no harsh chemicals, this luxurious hair dye is perfect for sensitive skin while giving a rich all-over color.
10. Refectocil Cream Hair Dye
Refectocil is a brand that has made a name for itself in the beard tinting/dyeing space. This product is used by both men and women alike and is the stylist’s preferred choice. It comes as a cream in a tube form, and while the kit contains all the required accessories and precision brush, it misses out on the activator, which has to be bought separately.
It is always better to go for a patch test before going ahead. But it sure makes for easy application. Apply and leave on for ten minutes. Excellent coverage with color that lasts several weeks is the impressive outcome. The color appears vivid, is water-resistant, and light.
This product is perfect for sideburns, temples, even your eyebrows, besides, of course, your beard. Great news, as this can be used to achieve an even look. The product is available in many shades, and it is straightforward to get just the shade that your heart desires.
- Stylist’s choice
- Good coverage
- Excellent tints
- Lasts several weeks
- Easy to apply
- Can be applied on sideburns, temples, hair, and eyebrow for a natural look
- Activator has to bought separately
- Check for allergies
Buying Guide: How to Choose the Best Beard Color?
Your decision should be based on a thorough study of the products using the following parameters.
1. Ingredients and How Safe are they:
Dyes are made of solid chemicals. And those with sensitive skin can experience breakouts and inflammation. Understanding this, companies have started incorporating natural elements, hair-friendly oils, and nourishers inside of their formulation. Many color companies no longer use ammonia.
Organic colors are also available, which are completely skin-friendly. If you have sensitive skin, go for organic dye, and if you have lack time, choose tints and cosmetic colors overdye.
2. Ease of Application:
Coloring the beard has always been a tedious process. Some companies have made it easy by introducing cream in tubes and applicators, and brushes that simplify the process. The curing time is also reduced in many cases.
The product choice has to factor in how much time you have at hand. If you have an important meeting, and you wish to look dapper and hide some of those greys, you can choose a product that tints or a product that brushes up. If you have enough time at hand and a couple of days for the meeting, you can go for a permanent dye.
3. How Long do you Want it to Last:
This can dictate your choice of whether to for a permanent, touch-up, organic dye. Choices are aplenty. Permanent dyes last till your hair grow out, which could vary from six to eight weeks. Temporary ones last for a day to two days. With permanent ones, unless you are happy with your choice of color, you are stuck for a month or two.
Temporary colors are easy to remove, and you can keep going from color to color till you figure what works best.
See Also: Top 10 Best Beard Balm in 2021 Reviewed
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How to Select the Right Shade for Beard Dye?
All stylists recommend always choose the lighter shade of your natural facial hair color. A darker shade of the same usually gives the beard an unnatural look.
Never apply a beard dye just before an important event. Some colors might not come out the way you intended them to. Some colors seem to look better a couple of days after application. Keep these in mind the next time you choose to color your beard.
2. How does One Maintain a Beard After Dyeing?
If it is a permanent dye, it will start fading after a month or six weeks. Shampoos can play a role in the early fading of the beard. So if you shampoo daily, your dye fades out much faster. You can switch over to a color-protecting product to help the dye last longer.
Even chlorinated water can play havoc with your dyed hair. So watch out! You can also use beard shampoos that are natural and do not contain sulfate and parabens, as these are good with dyed beards.
3. How does One Apply a Beard Dye?
Clean your beard, if need be deep wash with shampoo to remove grime and gunk once squeaky clean, air dry, or blow-dry. Before starting the dyeing process, cover the remaining face with a cream or petroleum jelly to not get stained with dye. It is always preferable to use gloves while applying the dye.
Some dyes are not this cumbersome to apply. The instructions are detailed out in the product. In the review, we included details as to the method of application as well.
4. Which is the Best Product for Beard Color?
The 10 products mentioned above go through the gamut of the best products in every category- organic, chemical, and cosmetic. Choose one that fits your requirement and skin type.
A well-groomed beard with the right color can make a ton of difference to your personality. If you are greying, a good color can take from aging to dapper in under half an hour. Invest the time, go through the review and make an informed choice. Invest in suitable products and after-care products to keep your color from fading fast.
We are always eager to hear from you, be it opinions, comments, or experiences. Generously use the comment box below. Are there any other products that you are looking at? Do drop in a word, and we will diligently review them. Please stay connected with us for more exciting products.
We hope this article about best beard colors is helpful to you. Do share this article on social media, if you found it helpful for you in any manner.