The popularity of Koi Fish tattoo designs has increased in recent years. This is not only because of the various aspects of Japanese tattoo art that is being loved globally but also because of the deep meaning of various koi fish tattoos.
First of all, let me tell you that different color of koi fish will represent different meanings. Not only this; but the alignment of koi fish tattoo will also give it a unique meaning. For example, A Koi fish flowing upstream will represent continuous struggle against odds and a koi fish swimming downstream will represent ducking away from problems.
Here we give you 55+ Koi fish tattoo ideas with meaning of each one –
Koi Fish Tattoo Designs
1. Japanese tattoo artists often show koi fish facing struggles. One cool idea is to show is fighting an evil demon. You can wear such styles as sleeve designs.
2. The golden or yellow koi fish is associated with wealth and gold. It is rare to find and therefore the tattoo is considered very lucky.
3. If you show a red sun sign in the forehead of a yellow koi fish then this means that the fortune you acquired also have mystical meanings.
4. Most people like to try koi fish sleeve tattoos and they have two choices either to show the koi fish swimming upstream or swimming downstream on the sleeve.
5. You can show powerful waves in your koi fish tattoo design which will mean that you are facing difficulties in life but you won’t give up.
6. A Black Koi fish tattoo is also very meaningful. It means that you have overcame all the hurdles in your path and now you are a successful person.
7. Here is a koi fish half sleeve tattoo design which perfectly suits on people who wish to have a tribal version of koi fish.
8. This is traditional koi fish tattoo design which will look even better when colored.
9. A red koi fish tattoo has deep meaning. It means intense love. So if you love someone madly then dedicate a red koi fish tattoo to them.
10. As Koi fish and Dragons are associated in Japanese myths therefore a cool design is to try them both in one tattoo. You can have a full back tattoo like this.
Koi Fish Tattoo Ideas
11. One of my favourite koi fish sleeve tattoo idea is to show a koi fish swimming downstream and a dragon swimming upstream like this. Such tattoo will represent transition.
12. Koi fish tattoo look amazing on arms. You can show red fins of koi fish to show that you have a crush on someone.
13. Adding flowers to various tattoo designs is a common practice. Koi fish’s ideal flower partner is lotus flower. Both represent win among odds.
14. You can also show cherry blossom tattoo with your koi fish design. Such tattoo will represent beauty and elegance.
15. Small koi fish tattoos designs are instantly admirable. Look at this small koi fish tattoo on the wrist of this guy.
16. Orange Koi fish tattoo represent love for a family member. Usually such tattoos are dedicated by fathers to their daughters.
17. If you show a shade of pink in your orange fish tattoo then this will mean that a mother loves her daughter indefinitely.
18. Koi fish can be a part of a bigger and traditional Japanese tattoo. Here is one example.
19. You can try a red faced koi fish tattoo which will represent that you are very aggressive person who never backs down.
20. The artist beautifully added the blue aura around the golden koi fish tattoo design. This represents rareness.
Koi Fish Tattoos for Women
21. You can show sharp fins of your black koi fish tattoo which will represent that even though you have succeeded against all odds yet you are not afraid for another challenge.
22. Japanese cats are cute and adorable. Girls can try a unique double exposure tattoo like this where the koi fish is shown in cat tattoo.
23. Koi fish is rarely tried on neck but do you know it will have a unique meaning. It will mean that you are near your target and about to achieve it.
24. You might take it as a koi fish outline tattoo but this design also has a meaning. It means that you are paving your own way toward success with no godfather.
25. Here the artist showed a colourful lotus flower in a black and white koi fish sleeve tattoo.
26. A Blue Koi fish represents masculinity. It also represent love for son.
27. Koi fish yin yang tattoo are very common choice but adding an ALL WATCHING EYE tattoo in it will mean that you are god fearing person who believes in Karma.
28. Koi fish should not be tried on legs and that too flowing downstream. This means that you gave up and do not wish to fight for your dreams anymore.
29. You can show an old koi fish in your tattoo design. This will mean that you have either spent your whole life in achieving your goals or you are ready to dedicate your whole life for a goal.
30. In some traditional koi fish tattoo versions you might see a version of black and golden koi fish. This means that you not only achieved your dreams but also became a wealthy person in the process.
Koi Fish Tattoos For Men
31. An Orange koi fish tattoo with blue fins will mean that you love both your kids (Daughter and son) unconditionally.
32. You can show a koi fish flying above waves in your design. This mean that you are very optimistic person.
33. One cool idea is to try a koi fish tattoo with some features of dragon. Such as in this tattoo the artist showed eyes and nose of a dragon in koi fish thus representing the transition in life.
34. A Blue koi fish tattoo with a lotus flower tattoo is a cool combination as both represent prosperity.
35. A Green koi fish tattoo is a also rarely tried. It represents longevity of life and good luck.
36. Watercolor Koi Fish tattoo might fade away sooner but they look the prettiest when they are fresh.
37. Am I seeing double? I think there are claws and webbed foot added to this koi fish tattoo.
38. Do not have a sliced koi fish tattoo like this. It will mean that you have broken down while chasing your dreams.
39. You can also add dragon flames to your tattoo of koi fish.
40. Here is another neat tattoo of koi fish that shows why these tattoos are so much popular.
Tattoos of Koi Fish
41. This tattoo clearly tells why one should avoid koi fish outline tattoos.
42. You can try a koi fish colored tattoo where you use various vibrant colors such as black, red, white,blue, yellow and orange.
43. Do not try watercolour tattoos near your tattoo of koi fish because it might ruin the whole design.
44. You can dedicate your tattoo of koi fish to someone you love by inking their name initials near it.
45. This marvellous koi fish half sleeve tattoo is one I would highly recommend. A large size koi fish like this will denote that you stand taller than your problems.
46. Here is another version of koi fish half sleeve tattoo where the artist added marine life too.
47. You can try koi fish yin and yang tattoo design on your half sleeve or even can add a flower to it.
48. If you opt for koi fish black and grey tattoo design then I would suggest you to use blackwork technique for it.
49. White or cream koi fish tattoos are also good choice. They represent peace and prosperity.
50. Here is a beautiful blue koi fish tattoo that you can consider.
Check out some more tattoos of koi fish that you could ink on your body –